Huntington Station sedation dentists
Surveys indicate more than 60 percent of people suffer from dental fear. Even though you anticipate the transformation to a beautiful smile, intense fears of pain, chemical smell, drill sounds, confined spaces, and keeping your mouth open can overshadow the benefits.
Sedation dentistry is a modern solution to reduce anxiety and relax patients throughout the process. At Long Island Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, all our dentists are certified sedation dentists. Working with external board certified anesthesiologists when needed, our staff has the expertise necessary to ensure each patient will be calm and satisfied after each procedure. We offer different types of anesthesia to suit every patient and situation.
Are you a candidate for sedation dentistry?
Most individuals can safely undergo sedation dentistry, without risk. Ideal candidates:
- Suffer from fear and anxiety about dental procedures
- Have had a traumatic experience with a dentist in the past
- Experience dizziness, sweaty palms, or rapid breathing during routine cleaning
- Rarely, if ever, go to the dentist due to fear of discomfort
- Suffer from an easy gag reflex or low pain threshold
- Can’t sit still in the dental chair
- Have sensory processing disorder, hyperactivity, or other special needs
- Dislike the noises, smells, and tastes of dental care
- Hate needles and shots
- Experience hot/cold tooth sensitivities
- Require a lengthy procedure or multiple procedures done at once
Being candid about your past and present medical history will help our sedation dentists choose the right type of sedation for you. According to the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology, special care must be taken when selecting sedation methods for patients with heart, kidney, liver, or respiratory disease; epilepsy; sleep apnea; and diabetes.
Top dental procedures requiring sedation
If you’re just getting a single tooth implant, a local numbing agent may be all you need. If you are having more extensive work done or you experience an extreme degree of anxiety, our sedation dentists are happy to provide you with anesthesia for:
- Tooth Drilling
- Tooth Extraction
- Root Canals
- Cosmetic Oral Surgery
- Dental Implants
- Dental Veneer Placement
- Tooth Bonding
- Deep Cleaning
- Periodontal Surgery
No job is too big or too small for sedation if you feel you need it. People have all different levels of comfort, so do not hesitate to ask Dr. Elliott or Dr. Nick for more information about sedation dentistry at your next visit. We are proud to provide exceptionally compassionate care that helps reduce common phobias associated with the dental industry.